In my previous blog, I talked about the sad parts of being in a long-distance relationship. My boyfriend told me, "Why are you focusing on the negative sides? Aren't you happy with our relationship? You're starting to scare me." And I simply answered, "I am very happy. I just wrote the sad part first so that I can write something after that because long-distance relationship is just a very broad topic." So here I am, this time, I will be writing about the good things about being in a long-distance relationship. In a long-distance relationship, you will learn a lot of things..
1. You will learn how to trust fully. Because of the distance, you won't be able to see what the other person is doing. And, I understand that there will be times that you are thinking that maybe your partner is just lying or something but, you have to learn to let go of your fears and when you have a problem, you need to work on it with your partner and don't let it destroy your relationship. Trust. That is one of the most important things in a long-distance relationship.
2. You will learn how to treasure every moment together. Whether it is something small or something big, enjoy every moment with your partner. Taking an active role in their life will let them know that you are there. Being in a long-distance relationship means, you won't be able to see each other personally every day so whenever you will have the time to see each other, you really have to treasure every second of it.
3. You will learn how to be patient. This is very important because you need to wait for a period of time for you to be able to see each other personally. Remember that this is just like a regular relationship, there will be problems, too. Work through them and don't fall into temptation and don't give up so easily.
4. You will learn how to be understanding. Again, there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. There will be problems, obstacles to overcome. People can get busy as sometimes the reality of their lives will take precedence over the relationship. Do not allow that to make the relationship go dead. Learn to understand that we all have obligations and responsibilities in life.
5. You will learn how to value time. There is a saying, "Time is of the essence." Generally, people that are in long-distance relationships have to deal with time differences. When you wake up, your partner might be getting ready to go to bed. You still have to make time for each other regardless even just for a little bit. That shows each other that you still care.
6. You will learn how to communicate despite the distance. You will learn how to merge the gap. They say, communication is the fuel in every relationship. When there is no communication, your relationship is dead. This is a challenge to those who are in a long-distance relationship. But, when you really love the person, you will learn how to communicate despite the thousands of miles between the both of you. You will learn how to keep the fire burning which will allow the relationship to continue to grow. Yes, the distance may be great but you know your hearts are still connected with each other and for as long as you stay connected, the relationship will not be consumed by the distance.