Feeling down and losing a purpose of life is very much common in modern day society. Things don’t go accordingly, people let us down, they betray us, break our heart and injustice in society. The most common downfall is losing hope and personal value. Depression is quite and silent as compared to the anxiety. It slowly eats us from inside cutting off all the interest and happiness of life. There are many levels of depression; it starts slow and in a initial stages if not detected results in hazardous results. First the person loses interest in their favorite hobbies, activities and food. Followed by feeling lethargic and talking less, after this stage another stage comes in which a person cuts off its social contacts with friends and close ones. Finally result in losing hope in life and suicidal thoughts. If the person is able to access the information and address the depression cause at the right time and have good moral and social support and a good doctor, even the severe depression condition can be treated.
- Understanding signs and symptoms
The depression varies from person to person, but there are some common signs and symptoms of depression. Seek help and look for the signs of depression if you haven't done it yet. Normal ups and downs in life is normal for everyone to feel sad, but if emptiness and despair has taken control of your life and it won’t go away that it means you may have depression. Some of prominent signs and symptoms of Depression includes;
- Feeling helpless, hopeless and self loathing.
- Loss of energy, concentration and daily life routines.
- Changes in sleep, appetite and weight.
- Reckless behavior, anger or irritability.
- In some cases feeling of pain and aches.
- Risk Factors
Unlike other diseases like diabetes, hypertension or other medical diseases; depression is not that simple to diagnose or to address, it is more complicated. It is not an imbalance of chemicals in the brain, which can be cured by medication. It is more of biological, social and psychological factor which enhance depression. There are certain risk factors which are vulnerable to depression, such as;
- Unemployment or under employment.
- Childhood trauma or abuse
- Health problems.
- Family stress and history of depression.
- Lack of social life or support.
- Marital or relationship problems.
- Financial strain.
- Alcohol or drug abuse.
Suicidal Risk; Depression is a major risk factor for suicide. The feeling of hopelessness, despair and loneliness results in the making, one feel as suicide is the only way to set oneself free and escape from all the pain. The warning signs of suicide include;
- Talking or thinking about harming or killing oneself.
- Showing strong feelings towards hopelessness and trapped.
- Acting recklessly e.g; fast driving, doing daring stuff etc.
- Thoughts of the world would be better without them in it.
- Sudden switching of mood from one extreme to another.
- Depression Recovery
The cause of depression helps in determining the treatment. That is why the first way to recovery is to determine the root cause of depression. As symptoms and causes of depression are different in different people, in the same way the treatment and recovery way also varies in treating depression. In most cases the best approach to treat depression is social support, emotional skill building, change in lifestyle and professional help. Some of the options for depression recovery are as follows;
- Ask for Social Help and Support - It is said half of the burden of sadness is laid off when you talk and seek help for something. The simple act of talking face to face about your feeling can lift off enormous burden. Isolating oneself from the society, fuels up the depression. Family and friends are more willing to help you in this hardship.
- Make a healthy lifestyle - Changing lifestyle has a huge impact on depression. It is an effective way to get rid of depression. Although it's hard to change the ongoing lifestyle but its results are marvelous. Changing lifestyle includes;
- Healthy eating and sleeping.
- Managing stress.
- Exercise and outgoing activities.
- Practicing relaxation techniques.
- Challenging negative thought patterns.
- Building emotional Skills - Some people lack the capability to express their feelings and emotions to others. For that there need to to properly identify and express your emotions to others that will make you more resilient.
- Professional Help - If above mentioned techniques do not work, then there is a need of a professional help that can guide you in a proper way to come out of depression. There are many effective ways of depression, including; therapies, medications, and other alternative treatments.
- Anti Depressants - the drugs are helpful to some people, but they are not the cure. Much of the time it comes up with the drawback and results in negative impact rather positive. Physician’s advice and recommendations is required for starting the medication otherwise the results can be lethal.