Learn to cook a perfect chicken biryani in easy steps.
Ingredients for marinating the chicken
1 Kilo of Chicken on the bone cut into 8-10 parts
1 Tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
1 Teaspoon of coriander powder
1 cup of curd or milk with one lemon juice
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon biriyani masala( 2cardamom,1 inch cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek, 3 clove. take all these, fry them without oil, make them powder.)
A pinch of salt
Mix all of the above ingredients and let the chicken marinate for 6-12 hours in refrigerator , the more the better.
Herbs, spices and condiments used are as follows
- 8 cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 6 green Cardamoms
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon shahi jeera (caraway seeds)
- A few pinches grated nutmeg and mace each
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 Teaspoon red Chili powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Gram Masala Powder
- 5-6 Tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
- 2-3 chopped green Chilies
- 4-5 chopped Tomatoes
- A whole bunch of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 inch piece of ginger root, grated
- 1 kilo basmati, jasmine or ganador rice
- 1 cup tomato paste(not tomato sauce)
- 1 cup milk, cream, or yoghurt
For fried onions
- About 8-9 medium size onions
- Oil for deep frying and 3-4 tablespoon for cooking
- 1 Tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup of milk
- A few strands of Saffron (kesar)
- Desi ghee (clarified butter) about 6-7 Tablespoons
- Cashew nuts ( a few or as many as you want)
- Raisins and almonds are optional
- Salt to taste
1Deep fry the onions for 20 mins: While the chicken is marinating, slice the onions very thin. You can use a food processor for this or a slicer. Now heat oil and fry these sliced onions in batches. The heat should be medium. Definitely not high, otherwise the onions will get burned. Stir the onions continuously for uniform browning. When they become light brown, drain them on kitchen paper. Keep them aside. They will get nice crispy as they cool down.
2Cook the Chicken: Take a deep, wide mouth vessel and heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in it. In this add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, little bit of shahi jeera and allow to crackle. Now add a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste and stir a little. Now tip out all the marinated chicken and the marinade. Cook on a high flame so that the water gets evaporated quickly. Add the chopped tomatoes, mint, green chilies, all dry powders(coriander, chili), and salt. Cook till the chicken is cooked and the gravy (masala) is not watery. Add one third of the fried onions. Mix well. Keep aside.
3Parboil the rice: Boiling rice is one of the most important part of cooking a biryani. The rice needs to be parboiled. Meaning, it should be three fourth cooked. The rest of it gets cooked on dum (when we layer the chicken and rice, seal it and put on a very slow fire). Take a big deep wide mouth vessel, add lots of water (at least 10 times more than rice). Add ample salt (this is very important because the rice needs to be salty when cooked). Also add a cinnamon stick, a couple of green cardamoms, a few cloves and the rest of caraway seeds (shahi jeera), for flavoring the rice. Now boil all this for a few minutes on a high flame (7 minutes or so). This is how to check if the rice is done. Without burning your fingers, take a few grains of rice (use a clean spoon to take some out of the boiling water), break a grain, if it breaks into 3 parts easily, your rice is done. Strain the rice and spread it on a clean surface (a tray or something), so that it cools faster. If you want to pick out the whole spices which you added, you can do that now. Or else just let them be.
4Keep all these ready: Now that the rice and chicken are cooked. Fried onions are ready. You just need to get a few more things organized, so that the layering can be done.
- Chop the coriander leaves
- Boil the milk and add crushed saffron in it. Give it a stir.
- In desi ghee, fry the cashew nuts till golden brown. Also the almonds and raisins, if using. Keep aside.
- Keep some melted desi ghee aside.
5Layering the biryani:
- Take a heavy bottom pan with a lid (non stick is best).
- Take some melted ghee and grease the bottom of the pan with it. Then
- Put a layer of rice,
- Then a layer of chicken
- followed by a layer of fried onions
- then a layer of chopped coriander.
- Repeat and finish off with the rice layer. Lastly, sprinkle the leftover fried onions (if any), cashews and other nuts. Pour the saffron milk on top. Also pour some desi ghee down the sides of the pan and some on top of the rice. It will trickle down with the heat.
6Yep, you are done. Seal the lid by sticking it with some chapati dough or simply fix a big foil before placing the lid. The idea is to restrict the steam from escaping. Place this pot on a very slow flame. Ideally place this vessel on top of another flat pan or tawa, so that the bottom of the pan doesn't come in direct contact with the heat source.
7Leave for one hour. When you open it, what you get is the magical, flavorsome and aromatic chicken biryani. Please dig in. Don't forget to prepare a riata while your biryani is cooking. Enjoy hot biryani with a cold raita.
8Alternatively, you can cook the biryani in a pressure cooker. If you have access to one, a pressure cooker is a common way of cooking many Indian dishes, especially biryani. Fry the cloves, cardamom, cinnamanon and onion in the pressure cooker pot and cook until it is fried to a golden colour. Now add the ginger and garlic. After a minute of mixing, add the coriander leaves & mint leaves. Then add tomatoes, chicken, salt, and other spices.
- Finally, add the amount of uncooked rice you want to use along with the required amount of water (usually twice the amount of rice) - stir this mixture using a long spatula to mix everything together, then close the lid of the cooker and wait for the whistle.
- After the pressure is fully released, open the lid, stir the biriyani without spoiling the rice and serve with raitha.