- South African athlete Oscar Pistorius (pictured) is found guiltyof the culpable homicide of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
- One of the ships from Franklin's lost expedition, missing since 1845, is discovered off King William Island, Canada.
- Researchers announce that newly described Dendrogrammaspecimens may represent a previously unknown phylum of animal life.
- Archaeologists announce the discovery of the oldest known abstract artattributed to Neanderthals, in Gorham's Cave, Gibraltar.
- Hamas and Israel agree to a long-term ceasefire brokered by Egypt afterseven weeks of conflict.
- At the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards, Modern Family wins Outstanding Comedy Series and Breaking Bad wins Outstanding Drama Series.
In the news
Posted on at