Recipe type: Dessert
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ¾ cup of semiya or vermicelli
- ½ cup of sugar (adjust to suit your taste)
- ⅛ tsp. green cardamom powder (elaichi) or few strands of saffron
- 500 ml milk
- 200 ml water (you could substitute this with milk, if you desire a thick payasam)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- cashew nuts and raisins as needed
- Add ghee to a heavy bottom pot and heat up. Add cashews and fry till golden, add raisins and saute. Keep these aside to use for garnish.
- Add semiya to the same pan and roast till slightly golden on a low flame. If using very thin vermicelli set this aside in a bowl.
- Add milk and water to the pot. Let the milk boil on a low to medium flame. If the semiya was set aside add it now. Boil till the vermicelli is fully cooked. Keep stirring to prevent the payasam from burning.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook for 3 to 5 mins on a low flame for the semiya payasam to thicken.
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins