IMAGE CREATED VIA CANVA.COM BY ZILLE
Voice Assistants: The Sound Of Artificial Intelligence
Have you heard the sound of Artifical Intelligence? How do we define freedom and smart technology? With all that is out in the market right now and how Artificial intelligence is making our life easier day by day, you would probably know what is like to live in the age of modern technology. In this blog post, I will teach you the new meaning of comfort and revolutionize Smart Living.
Success in creating AI would be the biggest event in human history. Unfortunately, it might also be the last, unless we learn how to avoid the risks.
Image credit via Google
Yes, thanks to Artificial intelligence, owning your very own customize virtual voice assistant now comes in small packages, handy and make your life easier with a variety of task they can do just for you. Call them when you want to, anytime, they will listen and they will follow your every word.
Sit back and let your voice be the power to control integration and innovation in the new level.
Image credit via Google
Before we start, what is Voice Assistant?
Voice assistant is totally different from a virtual remote assistant that do most of the task given to them. A virtual assistant is people while voice assistants are technology, a machine with extraordinary artificial intelligence made for a certain task for your convenience. And they are on a constant standby mode. Call them anytime you needed, and they will instantly follow you. They come in a variety of task which depends on your lifestyle preference, some voice assistants can control your home automation, motorized products and window coverings for maximum privacy, your LED lights, some are incredibly smart that they can answer questions instantly, solve equations that go with anything about numbers, play your kind of music, ask them to place orders online and so much more! The common thing about them? You can control them with your natural voice, sweet and easy.
The things that's going to make artificial intelligence so powerful is its ability to learn, and the way AI learns is to look at human culture.
There are different kinds of Voice Assistants which differ or maybe at some point be the same, base on how and what task they perform and their functionalities that makes your life easier.
- Personal Intelligent Assistant or can also be called your Automated Personal Assistant - Coming from its name, it is an intelligent personal assistant that answers most of the questions that come in your mind. You normally use your own voice to ask and the technology itself will look for the technical answers that you needed. Well, they not only answer technical questions, mostly all that you can think of. And you will be amazed at how fast they can research for you! Instantly, just how you speak. To drop a few examples for these are Siri (apple) and Bixby (Android).
- Smart Assistant- They are categorized under smart automation which does substitute your physical task and lets you sit back and control them through your own voice. They are mostly used for home or building automation. A great example for them is Amazon Alexa/ Amazon Echo, Google's Home, and Apple's HomePod to name a few popular smart assistants that you might have encounter or own one.
- Digital Assistants - They usually help people or end user using natural voice command or written text for automated platforms and software.
- Chatbot - A very popular and rising artificial intelligence that converses with any human user base on the services that certain sectors offer. They can be customized and creates an interpersonal touch that makes interaction conveniently fun and engaging. The best example for that is Querlo Chatbot from IBM Watson. It is the new innovation and it even allows you to make your own personalized chatbot, so easy and conveniently intergalactic
- Voice Assitant - With the keyword for this AI intelligence, it normally makes use of the natural language for processing, speech synthesis, and voice recognition to function properly on the task that associates it.
Image credit via Google
Voice Assistant is been widely used to this date, you may be familiar with one or two application on your smartphones and tablets for home automation or just leisure, but all sums up to how they make your everyday life easier. The smart technology is now used for automated self-driving cars, telecommunications, home/building automation, education., healthcare and the list goes on. The thing is, you use your natural voice for command control and navigation.
In April 2015, Gartner had already predicted that by the end of 2018, 30% of our interactions with technology will be through "conversations" with smart machines. And that is by far happening now. We can feel that Ai is slowly yet massively taking over every sector for the ease and convenience of every human race.
Tractica forecasts that unique active consumer VDA users will grow from 390 million in 2015 to 1.8 billion worldwide by the end of 2021. During the same period, unique active enterprise VDA users will rise from 155 million in 2015 to 843 million by 2021. The market intelligence firm forecasts that total VDA revenue will grow from $1.6 billion in 2015 to $15.8 billion in 2021
Tractica is a market intelligence firm that focuses on human interaction with technology.
If our era is the next Industrial Revolution, as many claim, AI is surely one of its driving forces.
Famous Voice Assistants
1. Siri by Apple
Debut the very first digital virtual assistant and it instantly became popular. We can say that Siri made such noise that voice can be heard from near and far. It was a standard feature and a great innovation for Apple since it was the first launch last October 2011 with iPhone 4s. With integration fast approaching, later on, Siri was moved to Homepod in February 2018 to conquer home automation too.
Image credit via Smartsheet
2. Google Now
Then follows innovation and the needs for integration, Google Now became formally Google assistant that is best for android smartphone and android technology. It does works on Apple's iOS however with set limitations still.
3. Amazon Alexa
Was the next town craze, invading your home and making home automation effortlessly convenient and comfort in just a few natural voice commands. It was the next person speaking in your home interior and doing the task for you.
I often tell my students not to be misled by the name 'artificial intelligence' - there is nothing artificial about it. AI is made by humans, intended to behave by humans, and, ultimately, to impact humans' lives and human society.
4. Samsung embraces change by creating Bixby.
5. IBM then has Watson
6. Cortona for Microsoft, Windows 10 and even Xbox Machines and video games and other Windows phone as well.
7. Nuance also has Nina with them to top the list.
Voice recognition technology was around long before Apple’s Siri debuted in 2011. At the Seattle World’s Fair in 1962, IBM presented a tool called Shoebox. It was the size of a shoebox and could perform mathematical functions and recognize 16 spoken words as well as digits 0-9.
In the 1970s, scientists at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — with the substantial support of the United States Department of Defense and its Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) — created Harpy. It could recognize 1,011 words, which is about the vocabulary of a three-year-old.
Once organizations came up with inventions that could recognize word sequences, companies began to build applications for the technology. The Julie doll from the Worlds of Wonder toy company came out in 1987 and could recognize a child’s voice and respond to it.
Throughout the 1990s, companies like IBM, Apple, and others created items that used voice recognition. Apple began building speech recognition features into its Macintosh computers with PlainTalk in 1993. In April 1997, Dragon came out with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which was the first continuous dictation product. It could understand about 100 words per minute and turn it into text. Medical dictation devices were one of the earliest adopters of voice recognition technology.
AI Voice Assitant has evolved from the very first time that internet and computer were used. Before when you have to search from something on the internet, you have to be very specific with details as it may lead you to wrong windows and information.
Image credit via Google
Innovation has even taken over our lifestyle and Google had simplified all of these things for us. With continuous updates and search engine optimization taking over the search button as if it knew what you needed to know. Truly artificial intelligence is really taking our lives by storm.
With our Voice assistants waiting for the wake words coming out of our mouth for navigation, it is indeed that Artificial intelligence has made our lives way easier than before.
Advantages of Voice Assistant in Our Lives
Image credit via MIndMeld 2016
1. Freedom from a task that holds us back from doing other things
2. Comfort with just a few voice command controls
3. Convenience with hands-free navigation and the certain task is done properly and on time
4. Simplified Living allows the voice assistant to do things for you, including calling/dialing, sending a message, control for home automation, input basic information for healthcare industries and many more
5. Provides direction for easy navigation and travel experience
6. Appointment setter when you needed
7. Transforming lives into smart lives8. 8. Privacy and easy commands
Beyond ensuring that people everywhere have access to mental health, virtual digital assistants can act as learning companions, using their insight into what motivates and inspires you, to help you study and learn. In this way, AI could be used to level the playing field in education and help narrow socio-economic gaps around the world.
Rana el Kaliouby
IMAGE CREDIT VIA GOOGLE
Reservation for Not Using Voice Assitant
1. Privacy Issue - as the Voice assistant is in constant standby, waiting for its waking words to be activated
2. Costly Living
3. Smartphone already had the features they needed
4. Uninterested for the technology
5. Included in their wishlist but not buying yet
6. Waiting for a much more greater innovation
7. Accuracy for the task.
8. Hack problems/Security Concern
image credit via Google
THANK YOU FOR READING!
cHECK OUT MY OTHER bLOG POST hERE!
THIS BLOG POST IS CREATED FOR BITLANDERS IN SUPPORT FOR AI THEMED BLOGGING!
GOT YOUR $1 ALREADY? IF NOT, GET IT HERE!