- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 cups diluted coconut milk
- 1/8 lb. butter
- 1 can (15 oz.) condensed milk
- 3/4 cups rich coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp. flour for quick thickening
- Grate and squeeze out milk from 2 coconuts. Save 3/4 cup of the first milk squeezed out (rich milk) for topping.
- Dilute the rest of the coconut milk to make 3 1/2 cups. Or use 1 can (12 ounces) frozen coconut milk, saving 3/4 cup of the thick milk for topping and diluting the rest to make 3 1/2 cups.
- Boil rice and coconut milk in a heavy pot stirring constantly to keep from burning (about 15 to 20 minutes). When the rice is done and almost dry, lower the heat and add the sugar and butter.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Scoop the cooked biko and place it in a baking dish or Bilao then flatten the surface.
To make latik or topping:
- Combine all topping ingredients in a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat stirring constantly until thick (about 15 minutes) or brown.
- then pour topping over rice mixture.
- served while hot.
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes.