Exclusively released for the Super Famicom/SNES on April 24, 1998 and August 10, 2002 on the Gameboy Advance. It only have an official English translation when it was released on the GBA on March 12, 2003 in the US and March 21, 2003 in Europe.
A new robot named King appeared to conquer the Earth with his King Army. Rockman and Forte were sent to stop the evil robot.
Intro Stage: Green Devil
DWN 057 - Tengu Man
Weapon: Tengu Blade
Weakness: Spread Drill
DWN 058 - Astro Man
Weapon: Copy Vision
Weakness: Magic Card
KGN 001 - Dynamo Man
Weapon: Lightning Bolt
Weakness: Copy Vision
KGN 002 - Cold Man
Weapon: Ice Wall
Weakness: Lightning Bolt
KGN 003 - Ground Man
Weapon: Spread Drill
Weakness: Remote Mine
KGN 004 - Pirate Man
Weapon: Remote Mine
Weakness: Wave Burner
KGN 005 - Burner Man
Weapon: Wave Burner
Weakness: Ice Wall
KGN 006 - Magic Man
Weapon: Magic Card
Weakness: Tengu Blade
Stage 1: Atetemino Proto and Monking A
Stage 2: King Tank, King Plane, King and Jet King Robo
Stage 3: Mandatory Boss Rush, Wily Machine and Wily Capsule
- Like in Rockman X4, players have to choose between Rockman and Forte and they'll use one of them throughout the game.
- Instead of the traditional stage select system from the previous games, this used opening paths to unlock the other stages until it reaches King's fortress.
- The game does have a Teleport System for the Boss Rush, instead it's a mini-stage (called Crystal Gate) wherein Rock/Forte need to use the Robot Masters' weapons to open the 8 locks, and to unlock the King's Fortress stages.
- The Mandatory Boss Rush is the same with the 1st Rockman game.
- Only Rush Search is in this game.
- Each character has specific traits. Rock can charge his buster and slide while Forte can fire in all directions (except downwards), double jump and dash.
- All energy tanks are missing in this game.
- The Weapon Energy can't be filled whenever the characters will exit a stage or after the last life has been lost. After dying in the middle of the stage, you have to travel through the entire stage all over again.
- Blues/Proto Man is unplayable, he's just sliced in half by King.
- Forte is playable.