- 1 1/2 lbs lean pork, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce (divided, more is desired)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon molasses (do NOT omit)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 lb bean sprouts (or more)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch green onion (optional)
Cut meat into thin strips.
Combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with sugar, blend in 1 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp oil; mix to blend.
Pour over pork strips; toss well to coat, marinade in mixture for 20 minutes.
In a wok or large saute pan heat 2 tablespoons shortening; brown the meat lightly on all sides in hot shortening (after browning the pork you may add in chopped garlic and saute for 2 minutes if desired).
Add remaining 4 tbsp soy sauce and 1-1/2 cups water; simmer, covered on low heat for 45 minutes.
Add in the celery and onions; simmer for 15 minutes more.
In a small bowl, blend in remaining cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; stir into meat mixture.
Add molasses, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and mushrooms; heat thoroughly.
Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted almonds.