- 2 1/2 lbs Pork or Beef hocks or Ox tail ,cut into 2" lengths
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 bundle sitaw or long beans (cut 3" length)
- 2 bundles bokchoy / pechay
- 2-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp achuete powder for coloring
- 1 medium eggplant (cut into 6 pieces)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- bagoong or shrimp paste
HOW TO COOK KARE-KARE:
- Boil the pork hocks until soft. Set aside. Reserve the broth.
- In a wok, saute garlic and onion.
- Add pork hocks and fish sauce. Cook for few minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the pork/beef broth, salt, achuete and peanut butter. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the vegetables and cook until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with bagoong or shrimp paste.
- *** You can also use Mama Sita's Kare-Kare Mix and omit 4 tbsp peanut butter and achuete powder.