- 2 lemongrass
- 4 lime leaves, stalks removed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded
- 3 garlic cloves
- fingertip-length piece fresh root ginger
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 50ml fish sauce
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- handful each mint, basil and coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 Baby Gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and cut into strips lengthways
- 200g beansprouts
- lime wedges, to serve
Roughly chop the lemongrass, lime leaves, red chillies, garlic and ginger, then throw them all into a processor and blitz until everything is very finely chopped together. Mince the chicken breasts into tiny pieces.
Heat a wok over a high heat and add the vegetable oil and the sesame oil. Throw in the lemongrass mixture and fry briefly before adding the minced chicken and the chilli powder. Stir-fry the chicken for 4 mins then splash in the fish sauce. Turn down the heat a little and allow the chicken and fish sauce to bubble together for another 4 mins, stirring, then add the chopped red onion and cook for another min.
Remove from the heat, pour over the lime juice and toss in the herbs. Serve with the salad veg and a lime wedge on the side.