Potassium and Human Health
Potassium is an alkali metal has silvery white color in pure form. It is highly soluble in water. There was no difference between potassium and sodium before 1702. It was first isolated in pure form through electrolysis. It is very reactive in pure form and rapidly oxidizes in air.
Potassium is essential nutrient for human body. Its deficiency creates serious problems. Some of important role of potassium in human body is as follows.
- Maintain blood pressure
- Make the blood vessels more flexible
- Protect from blood clotting
- Reduce hypertension
- Prevent from kidney stone
- Protect from renal disease
- Decrease the risk of osteoporosis
- Maintain heart function
- Maintain water level in cell
- Improve the nerve conduction function
Daily intake quantity
Now the important question is how much potassium should be intake to maintain the normal body functions. The daily intake should be 4700 mg. We should use it to maintain our body for better working potential.
Diet which contain high amount of potassium
The following diet contain high amount of potassium
- Citrus fruits like orange etc.