One of the most popular fruit in the world being served on the table is the "banana fruit". People who tasted it describes the fruit as fresh, creamy and delicious which makes it perfect for deserts.
When it comes to health benefits, banana fruits actually offers a good amount of vitamins and minerals. The most common vitamins it offers is the Vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine).This form of vitamin offers a beneficial treatment for neuritis and anemia. It also helps decrease homocystine, a type of acid responsible for coronary artery disease which can trigger strokes.
Another large content of nutrients that a banana fruit offers to the consumers is the potassium. Researcher have studied that a 100 grams of banana fruit provides 356 mg of potassium. To tell you something about potassium, it is an important nutrient needed by the cells and body fluids of your body in order to properly maintain your heart rate and blood pressure.
Some Interesting Facts about Bananas
1. Most people refer to the banana as a kind of "tree" but according to the scientists, it's actually a herb or herbaceous type of plant. This makes it as the world's tallest plant that some species can reach a height of up to 20 feet. To tell you more about herbaceous plants, these are plants with no woody stem. At the end of the year, the whole parts of the plant above the ground often dies.
2. The most common banana fruit being sold in the market are the yellow Cavendish variant. But the interesting fact is that, there are other variety of colors which can be green, red, purple, orange or brown.
3. Banana fruits that are being exported are being picked on their unripe state. Once stored on a special storage chambers, ethylene is being used to ripen them up.
4. Banana fruits are surprisingly composed of 75 percent water.
5. Some researchers claims that eating a banana fruit after a workout (along with plenty of water) can replenish your energy better than any other commercial energy drinks.
6. The banana fruit is a good source of vitamin C.
7. There's a special fiber from the banana plants that can be harvested and fabricated to make clothes.
8. All banana plants will only bear one bunch of banana fruits just once in a year before dying. Fortunately, shoots or baby plants will grow out from the roots of the banana plant as new replacements. This process can continue to take place for up to 10 years.
Bananas Are Becoming Extinct
Some researchers claims that in the next 10 to 20 years to come, there may be a shortage of banana fruit in the market. It's because "bananas can't reproduce themselves" where they require human propagation in order to reproduce. Other than human propagation, there are varieties of harmful diseases that attacks them. Unlike other plants, bananas actually don't have genetic diversity which makes them vulnerable to all sorts of diseases.
The most threatening disease that can cause extinction to all bananas in the world is called the "Panama Disease Race 4". Researchers claims that this form of plant disease is resistant against fungicides. Thus, if it happens that this disease makes it to all major banana plantations in the world then it will be the end of all banana plants.
Today, all major banana plantations in the world are taking aggressive measures in order to prevent contamination against the Panama disease.